Clean, clear skin is important to help reduce the instance of acne, and acne scars. Fighting existing acne is a lot harder and more expensive than preventing it, so you should develop a daily skin care regimen to help you avoid acne breakouts. Your daily regimen does not have to be time consuming or expensive, but it does need to become a daily habit in order to be effective. Here are ten tips to clear skin.
1. Wash your face at least twice each day, using a pure soap such as dove, Ivory, and clean water. Hot water opens pores, so wash with hot water. Cold water closes pores, so splash your face with cold water after washing to ensure that your pores are protected from the environment. In addition, splash your face with cold water before applying makeup as well.
2. Reduce the use of cosmetics as much as possible, since they clog pores. If you must wear makeup, make sure that you are using hypoallergenic products or products for sensitive skin. Splash your face with cold water before applying, and make sure you wash all the makeup away before going to bed.
3. Keep your hair and hands off of your face. Hair and hands contain oils that can cause acne breakouts. When applying creams or makeup to the face, use applicators – not your hands. Do not lean with your hands on your face either, and keep your hair pulled back off your face.
4. Hydrate the body – and the skin – with water. Hydrated skin is healthy skin. Water helps to detoxify our bodies and our skin, ridding us of elements that make us ill, as well as elements that can cause acne.
5. Eat a well balanced diet, and make sure that you include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain quite a bit of natural vitamin A and vitamin E, which is essential to good skin care.
6. Some sun exposure is healthy, because that is not healthy, but limit your time in the sun, and use a good sunscreen. Overexposure to the sun, and its ultraviolet rays not only cause acne, but it can cause skin to age quickly, or it can also cause skin cancer. Make sure you wash the sunscreen off when you come in from the sun to avoid getting clogged pores.
7. Don’t squeeze pimples or pick at any sores. This can cause the spread of acne, and it can leave scars as well. Instead, treat the pimples and sores with topical ointments and creams applied with cotton balls or q-tips.
8. Make sure that you get plenty of rest. When we sleep, our bodies reset. Hormones and chemicals are produced when resting that are not produced when we are awake. You need at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. Sleep is good for the skin.
9. Stress is bad for the skin. Just as good hormones and chemicals are produced and released when we sleep, bad hormones and chemicals are produced when we are stressed. Avoid stress as much as possible and learn to do deep breathing exercises, or other stress reducing techniques for those times when you are stressed.
10. Treat yourself to a day spa once every two or three months for the ultimate skin care experience. Not only is this quite relaxing, it is great for the skin. The spa operators can give you more tips to clear skin.